Time for some fabulous, new fall apps! Here’s one of my simple and classic favorites that will win over your Mom-in-law, health-nut sis and your big, hunky man.. all at the same round table. Keep it fabulous and fresh this holiday season my friends.
Roasted Fig and Proscuitto Flatbread
Serves 8, appetizer portions
• 8 fresh figs, tough stem removed and halved
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 2 cups + 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 store-bought pizza dough
• 4 ounces fresh goat cheese (Chevre)
• 1 cup arugula
• 6 slices prosciutto
1. Preheat oven to 425°F
2. Toss the figs in a baking dish or sheet tray with 1 tablespoon honey and 1 tablespoon balsamic. Roast for about 15-20 minutes until softened. Cool.
3. Heat the remaining 2 cups balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until it comes to gentle boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the balsamic is reduced to 3/4 cup, and has the consistency of maple syrup, about 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
4. Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes.
5. Roll out the pizza dough and place on a large sheet tray. Bake at 425°F for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Transfer flatbread to a large platter and brush with remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Top with the caramelized onions, figs, goat cheese, arugula and prosciutto Drizzle with the balsamic reduction and cut into 16 pieces.