Time for some fabulous, new fall apps! Here’s one of my simple + classic favorites that will win over your Mom-in-law, health-nut sis and your big, hunky man.. all at the same round table. Keep it fabulous and fresh this holiday season my friends.
Roasted Fig + Proscuitto Flatbreads
Serves 8, appetizer portions
• 8 fresh figs, tough stem removed and halved
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 2 cups + 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
• 1 medium red onion, halved and thinly sliced
• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
• 1 store-bought pizza dough
• 4 ounces fresh goat cheese (Chevre)
• 1 cup arugula
• 6 slices prosciutto
1. Preheat oven to 425°F
2. Toss the figs in a baking dish or sheet tray with 1 tablespoon honey and 1 tablespoon balsamic. Roast for about 15-20 minutes until softened. Cool.
3. Heat the remaining 2 cups balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan over medium-high heat until it comes to gentle boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the balsamic is reduced to 3/4 cup, and has the consistency of maple syrup, about 30 minutes. Cool to room temperature.
4. Heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally until the onion is golden, about 10 minutes.
5. Roll out the pizza dough and place on a large sheet tray. Bake at 425°F for about 10-15 minutes until golden brown. Transfer flatbread to a large platter and brush with remaining 1 teaspoon olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Top with the caramelized onions, figs, goat cheese, arugula and prosciutto Drizzle with the balsamic reduction and cut into 16 pieces.