Here’s how you can transform $10 of groceries into 5 FULL family meals this week! Yes you can! Live the good life!
xx Candice + Nate For the cooking video watch here: VIDEO w/ the gorgeous Nate Berkus!
Potato and Herb Frittata
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
3 large russet potatoes, quartered and thinly sliced
½ yellow onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 cup spinach, chopped
2 tablespoons diced chilies
1 teaspoon dried Italian herbs or oregano
Pinch of salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup skim/lowfat milk
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a (10-12” non-stick) skillet over medium heat. Place potatoes in the skillet sautee for approximately 10-15 minutes. Get some great color on the potatoes, but make sure the potatoes are still semi-firm.
2. Mix in the chopped yellow onion, and garlic. Saute for about 5 more minutes.
3. Add in the spinach, allowing to wilt slightly.
4. Season with salt and pepper. Turn the heat to medium low.
5. In a medium bowl, whisk up the eggs milk and salsa, pinch of salt.
6. Gently pour into the skillet over the vegetables. Cook for another 5-7 minutes and finish off under the broiler (on high) for a few minutes until slightly golden brown on top…
7. Serve with a side of salsa and enjoy!
Jalapeno Tuna Burgers
Serves 4, makes 6 patties
2 5 to 6-ounce cans chunk light tuna, drained
1/2 cup coarse dry Italian, whole-wheat or panko breadcrumbs
3 tablespoons mayonnaise (low-fat preferred)
3 tablespoons chopped green chilies
1/4 onion, fine diced
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 hamburger buns, toasted
1. Combine tuna, breadcrumbs, onion, mayonnaise, chilies in a medium bowl. Mix well. Shape into 4 patties (mixture will be very soft and delicate). Refrigerate for 30 minutes to make the patties easier to handle, if desired.
2. Coat a non-stick skillet with 1 tablespoon olive oil, fry the tuna patties for about 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until cooked through. These can fall apart easily so be sure to handle with care.
3. Serve on buns with some spinach greens and if you have tomato slices available. Enjoy!
One Pan Chicken Paella
2 tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 large onion, rough chopped
3 cloves minced garlic
4 cups chicken stock, plus ½ cup water if needed
2 cups long grain white rice or brown rice (brown rice takes a bit longer to cook, but is worth the extra fiber!)
1 can diced tomatoes
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
2 teaspoons spicy paprika or chili flakes (optional)
1 bunch fresh spinach or mixed greens (optional)
1 tablespoon fresh basil or parsley (optional)
Salt to taste
1 lemon, a few squeezes here and there, but definitely right before you eat!
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat, add onions and cook until light golden, about 10 minutes. Add garlic, cook for approximately 5 more minutes.
2. Add in the rice and 3 cups chicken stock. Turn heat to a medium high and allow the rice to cook for about 20 minutes, covered depending on the rice grain.
3. Add the diced tomatoes, toss to coat and cook for another 10 minutes or until all of the liquid has evaporated.
4. At the very end, add in any spices, sea salt to taste, and toss in some fresh spinach or mixed greens to wilt, if desired.
5. Just before serving, squeeze a touch of lemon and add fresh herbs, if desired.
If you’d also like you can add in fresh herbs, like basil or parsley and add a squeeze of lemon on top right before you eat!
Spinach Pesto & Tuna Linguine
1 package linguine, 16 oz
2 cans tuna in oil, 5 oz
For the Spinach Pesto:
2 C Fresh spinach
2 Roasted Garlic cloves
1/4 C Extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoon lemon juice
Sea salt to taste
1 teaspoon lemon zest to garnish
1. Cook pasta as directed on package, strain and stop the cooking process with cool water. Set aside.
2. Blend up your spinach pesto in a food processor. Adding in the spinach, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and season well with sea salt to taste.
3. In a large bowl, add the strained pasta. Toss in the spinach pesto, 2 cans of tuna with oil, sea salt and lemon zest. Toss well to coat, all of the pasta.
4. Garnish with lemon zest and serve up warm!
For more easy and healthy recipes like this check out Pretty Delicious by Candice Kumai at PrettyDeliciousCookbook.com.